Saturday, February 5, 2011

Le Terroir Prague

Lupe has engaged us into the snobbery of Michelin discrimination . . . so we're finally making an effort here in Prague . . . I mean La Degustation is the only Rated restaurant, but the bib-awardees are probably good enough for us . . . and Sasazu proved so satisfactory that when we walked by Le Terroir for the 30th time, and noticed the Bib award, we decided to come back and give a try.
It's downstairs, in this grotto-like basement, but its not as grotty as the Triton Restaurant in the Adria hotel, which was "fine", but this is excellent, if you see how I mean the difference . . . .

not for nuthin' just some artwork on the wall leading to the restrooms. I liked it.

We just opted for the Degustation Menu . . .bring it on . . . it was only 5 courses, so I didn't think it would be as crippling as the Michelin experiences in Amsterdam or LeDegustation here in Prague, at least that was my thinking . . . .

The largest amuse bouchee' ever served to myself. . . I negligently didn't note the wine pairings, which were excellent thru-out the meal . . . either it's not as hard to make these pairings as I first thought, or there are more adept practicioners that I first estimated.

Marinated Salmon and Shrimp in Ginger & Apple salad.

Fresh Fish of the day with grilled octopus and sauce beurre blanc.
Oh. Shiver me timbers. Awesome.

Veal Sweetbreads with mushrooms, morels, and tarragon sauce . . . 
one of those dishes that just makes me giggle with delight. . . Mrs & I entertained ourselves debating the difference between morels and mushrooms.

Roasted Venison with bacon gnocci and plum sauce . . . 
my giddy laughter from pleasure was disturbing the other guests now, but the management forebore cautioning me.

Coffee cake with nuts and cappucino granite. We were afraid to order the French Cheese. It just is gonna be some time before we go back in the water, if you see what I mean, after the Toulouse Incident.

I so prefer Madeira to Porto, anyway.

well, of course, after all that, nothing would do but I have some armagnac (even after the madeira? silly question) . . . I had peeked into the cognac closet before on my way to the restroom. my breath fog and finger prints on the window to the closet make the flash inconsequential to the quality of the photo . . . 
So to my order for armagnac, the waiter asked me "what year?" and I asked "How much?" and he said "I'll bring the menu." Which filled my mind full of christmas-sugar-plum-fairies sort of things, but the menu exceeded expectations, to put it mildly. . . this is the last page . . .1897 is their oldest, for 19,455 KC . . .
just round that in conversion to USD as $1000. . . 8^0 . . . but even when I paged back to the front it still appalled me how much they were asking for one snifter. . . .

the cognac ranged as high as 27,000 KC, if you can believe it . . . 

I 'll settle, I said, for the stuff out of the big decanter.
It's very fine, the waiter reassured me with what seemed a practiced mien, it's a 10 year old blend . . . 
it was fine. . . 
but on our way home, I made us stop at Flora to get a bottle of DeLord Hors d'age, for 2700 KC, it's pretty dang good enough for me.

We eagerly await our next excursion to Le Terroir, apparently they change the degustation menu every 2 weeks, so . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment