Friday, April 23, 2010

Sabry's Seafood Astoria New York

Egyptian Seafood ? We asked my daughter? Oh, yeh, I can blog the heck out of that . . .




Our daughter's young man, our FSIL, is so knowledgeable about world-cuisine, they find these places -- ok, in NY2, there's lots of places to find, they ARE there, but there's also lots of places to avoid, if you see how I mean -- but I usually wish I just ordered whatever he got, rather than adventuring on my own . . . we all had rather ordinary salads, but he got this . . . lots of nummy sounds from that side of the table -- punctuated with agonized ecstasy from the grilled jalapenos served with it. . . 8^) . . .
The pita bread wasnt like any I've had before, very fluffy, not "spicy" at all, the whitebread of pita . . . and the olive oil was not as nice as we like. . . we maybe spoilt after trips to Naples and Barcelona. . . minor point.

The FSIL ordered BBQ Octopus -- it's really an appetizer, but he warned us, "the portions here are LARGE!" It'd be hard to overstate how good these were (he let us sample) . . . the charcoal-grilled flavourfulness, smothered in (dont-get-me-wrong-perfectly-fine) virgin-olive-oil and the perfect non-rubbery texture -- and we added a squeeze of lemon on top of that . . . Heaven!
The pasta plate my daughter ordered was so steaming hot, that it was still hot when she carried half of it home in a box, for lunch the next day. They really have a talent for shell fish there, getting it cooked just right.

Mrs. ordered the grilled sea scallops. . . they had that same charcoal /oliveoil / lemony goodness, with the added piquancy of dill . . . lovely, lovely, lovely.

So, I might never get back to Sabry's. We live in Europe. It's always a pleasure to visit NY2, but life does not always give us pleasure, n'c'est p'as? We almost didn't make it this time because of Eyjafjallajokull . . . so I ordered the combo: Calimari, Salmon, & Shrimp. . . .they tossed in a couple of scallops, too . . . I ate it all, god help me . . . then a couple more of Mrs scallops she couldn't finish . . .and more of those pita . . . my dish had that same charcoal-grilled / olive-oiled / lemony / dill goodness, plus-s-s-s-s, some je nais sans quois, almost like a cayenne pepper. . . I don't know . . . I felt delirious.

The kids say this place is michelin rated. Totally worth it. Totally deserves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment