Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lemon Leaf Thai

What a surprise this was. Our daughter made an off-hand recommendation when we walked by last weekend, but we were very pleased with the whole experience . . .



First we had Kung Thot Almond (tempura shrimp covered in almonds), served with a spicy dipping sauce . . . it was excellent . . .



Actually, first, we had a tasting spoon they offered: Rumaki with satay peanut sauce . . . it looked to me, instead, like a California Roll (sashimi) deep fried and served with a soupcon of satay sauce – nonetheless, it made an excellent start and went very well with our standard Thai food accompaniment, Bohemian Sekt Demi Sec.



For the main course we had Kai Phad Phed, the weekly special, red-curry chicken with lime leaf. When I ordered it from our very charming waitress in my pidgin Czech/thai, she tho’t I said Kai Phad Ping, which she explained was the same thing but with ginger, but I corrected her . . . when she went away, Mrs & I smiled at each other, knowing already that we would have to return to try the Ping . . . Mrs is Mad for anything ginger . . . 8^) . . . The dinner was almost spicy enough for us – certainly more spicy than the norm in CZ – there were little red pepper slices in the curry, but they didn’t seem to be those lethal little red Thai peppers, but some other . . . I didn’t even get the hiccups.



I had to have a dessert, too. I ordered what I’d seen delivered to other tables without being sure what it was. The waitress just called it Pineapple. It was deli-thin slices of pineapple piled up into an island surrounded by a lagoon of crème fraiche and strawberry puree, with a pinnacle of mint. It was worth it just for one bite of strawberry-crème-pineapple-mint.



This was all good enough to move up to at least 2nd place on our list of Fave Thai Spots in Prague . . . the ambience is the best of any Thai restaurant and the food is definitely crowding the Siam Orchid in the corners, if you see what I mean. . .

Update . . .
Still excellent!


Mrs' favorite Spicy Salad.

A spicy green curry . . .the kind you (by which I mean me!) eat faster and faster as the heat in your mouth grows, un-diluted by our customary Bohemian Sekt, till at last it is gone and only the heat remains . . .

we haven't gone the Lemon Leaf just for the pineapple desert yet but it could happen . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment