Saturday, March 27, 2010

Barcelona Picasso Museum

So: I don’t know how I did it, but I managed to forget / omit our trip to the Picasso Museum in BCN on Saturday . . . one of the main reasons for the trip . . . I think he’s the greatest artist of the modern era, anyway, but Mrs has doubts, so we tho’t this trip would settle it once and for all . . . it was great, but I don’t think anybody changed their minds . . .

not very many of the most famous Picassos were on show – in fact it kinda looked like the leftovers, like as if remnants of a clearance sale after closing time, if you see how I mean. There was one room of 25 or 30 pictures that looked all-but-identical . he was going for something and couldn’t quite get there.

But this one big painting I really did like, Las Meninas: they had his planning sketch framed next to it; he just designed in on a scrap piece of paper in an hour or so, then painted it just like he drew it up in a similarly short piece of time, they said.

This other’n, Mujer Con Mantano bowled me over when I saw it. . . that blue really jumps out at you . . .but this was one of the last pictures before his blue period, according to the museum. I tho’t it must be significant, but apparently no one else in the world agrees with me . . . there is not a single copy of this on the internet . . . not even from the Picasso Museum of Barcelona web site . . . but I love it . . .

I bought a poster of these two plus Guernica, which is what I told Mrs was my favorite Picasso . . . but the original is in a museum in Madrid, so we’ll have to go back to Spain, sometime, dang it. . .8^) . . .it was a chore choosing which Guernica copy to buy . . . from postcard to flat-panel tv sizes, I finally picked a middle size . . .small enough to frame but large enough to see what’s what, if you see how I mean . . .



There was this one other that I sorta liked, L’espera (Margot), not enough to buy a poster but they had ties and scarfs in this motif . . . so I bought a tie for 40Euros . . . 8^0 . . .but it’s just the yellow & green dot background, the girl’s not on the tie, not even her face . . . dangit again. . . 8^D

No comments:

Post a Comment