Saturday, March 27, 2010

Barcelona Saturday NIght Dinner - El Congrejo Loco

So, we went back and took a siesta too. The train system is great there in BCN, easy to follow, and Marilyn had sussed out most of the trips we needed to make, so we only got on the train going the wrong way twice . . .8^D . . . but it’s still exhausting . . . Marilyn had identified 3 restaurants in the Poblenou we wanted to visit . . . the first one turned out to have closed. The second one, the Crazy Crab, was out on a pier, with a dozen other restaurants, but we found it and it was still there . . . it was only about 7pm, so tho’ all the tables had “Reserved” on them, they were empty, but somehow they found a table we could have.
Now we’ve been fans of bruschetta for a while, but it is an art form in BCN . . . and when served like this, with the olive mix, we’re just in hog-heaven.
Sometimes we wish that’s all we’d eat but we pressed on, tonite: we were on a mission. Once I saw on the menu “Barnacles” I knew I had to have an order . . . even tho’ I never knew before that you could eat barnacles, or that I wanted them.

The waiter had to show us how to eat them: you grab ‘em at the root and break the husk, then pull out the meat and bite it off. They were salty little buggers, too. We each had a big salad, too . . . but it was just a salad . . . if you know what I mean . . .
the other dish we split was a more normal, yet other-worldly yummy plate of grilled sea-food . . . I almost forgot to get a picture it was smelled and looked so good: sea bass, monk fish, hake, crayfish, prawns, squid, and mussles . . . I think the hake was our favorite (the big filet in the middle).
Well, having moderated our appetites so well with only a half order of barnacles, some salad. and a plate of grilled fish, I felt like I was entitled to some chocolate . . . they called it a sacher torte, but it looked different from anyone other I ever had . . . not complaining tho’. . . . needed this and a cappacino to fortify me for the walk back to the hotel, at least 2kilometers along the beach and then La Rambla Poblenou, whew! We liked the mint/strawberry garnish: it looked like something Katherine would have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment